Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Reflection of Spain

Reflections of Spain, brings to mind Miles Davis' fabulous Sketches of Spain, however this is a little piece of my past reflected in a mirror my mother brought back from Madrid. It is one of a pair, I finally broke down and gave the other mirror to my sister, Sooz, so we each can peruse what we will in our antique beveled mirrors. I love the detail of the beveling on this glass. The reflection takes me back to a sitting with a real artist who didn't like me very much as I fidgeted and she had to start another canvas, which to a struggling artist was probably too hard. I think that is why my braids look so stiff.
It was very exciting though, when it was all done because Florita Macedonski had a gallery showing in which she displayed this portrait along with the portraits of the rest of my siblings and a larger portrait of my mother. (Which my sister has). I still remember the evening, everybody dressed in their best, and my mother looking beautiful in a black lace dress over a pale blue satin lining. The crowded gallery. Hardly being able to see the paintings for all the people. The oohs and aahs as people recognized my mother as the lady in the portrait, and these? Are these really all your children? (Five of us).The smiles. Madrid was wonderful.

It took a while but I finally decided on Palm Leaf Chevron from Barbara Walkers 'A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns. And as this is worked from the top down, the palm leaf shape morphed into a heart shape which works well for the Morning Blush Shawl. It is on the blocking board as I write, so soon we will see the results.

This mohair silk is reminding me more and more of a lemon meringue pie. I will have to do something to get that image out of my head if I want to wear it. I have in mind a simple pullover with a peplum and bell sleeves. I have been swatching to get an idea of appropriate needle size, and do I want to do it in a lace stitch? Or stick with reverse stockinette? Decision time. But since we are having a very cold spell for the Gulf Coast I am looking forward to working with this yarn, whatever I decide to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment