Thursday, October 7, 2010

the Dianna shawl

Dianna shawl is finished and fulfills my expressed desires of over a year ago when I finished spinning this yarn. I had said the colorway reminds me of autumn leaves and that perhaps I could find something with a leaf motif to show it off. Hah!
I was cruising through Ravelry when I came across the Dianna shawl in the favorites photos on the people page. What a great page that is! This is the Dianna shawl by Jane Araúj0 and is a free pattern. Isn't that amazing! Ravelry is one amazing feature after another because when I tried to start the pattern I kept getting stumped by the way it was written. Lo and behold a forum was available that helped clarify the author's point of view and made working the pattern so much easier and understandable. (Jane works her entrelac rectangles without turning the work so everything is done from the right side).




So, out came the yarn, which by the way is from Martie Moreno's Sunflower Too shop on etsy and is part of her Free Fall series of handpainted rovings. This was FF 128, Falkland top and I was able to get 678 yards out of 3.8 ounces, two ply, which I would consider definitely a lace weight.
It took me a while to finish it, having started it the end of July, it came off the needles and was blocked about two weeks ago, end of summer. Perfect timing. Here Marsha models for me at our knitting group at the Mockingbird Café.


And we finally got some cooler evenings and mornings so I got to wear it last night and it felt wonderful. This one is a keeper! All the others have found new homes with caring people leaving me room to make more!

I am ready to order more dyes and do some more spinning. Other than some demonstrations I haven't done any spinning all summer. Now that Fall is here I hope to change that and get back to it. Also looking forward to seeing what Martie will come up with once her etsy shop is back up and running. She continues to amaze and inspire with her wonderful color sense!

In the meantime I am working on Cookie A's Clandestine socks. I really like them, so much so that I have already started the second sock. Yea! These will be for a special loved one and I hope she likes them as much as I do!

So, back to work...

1 comment: