Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Clandestine Socks

I'm not sure if it is the name that I like so much or the sock itself, both are intriguing. Another Cookie A. design and very enjoyable to knit; I have to say I have grown accustomed to knitting stitches in the back loop. The dark blue of the yarn, which is Stahl Wool's Socka Tweed 4fach, color # 653 or 658, (can't quite make out the last digit) made it a little difficult to make out the pattern, especially since I was working them on my favorite size 2 ebony sock double points. However I persevered and am very happy with the outcome.

The first photo is truer to the actual color than the second which was photographed on a light colored wood sock blocker to try to show off the lacy bits. This pair of socks has a definite right and left sock due to the distribution of the pattern; I hope this won't be problematical for the person I made them for. I suppose it won't make a big difference, but as they were designed this way they should be worn this way, n'est pas?


Et, voilá, the pair. One on sock blocker the other not. I wonder if I would have the patience to make a pair of these for myself? Or have I fallen into the "too many patterns, so little time" trap and only knit something I haven't done before?
Besides which there is more spinning to be done, and then some pattern searching for the new yarns and then....
It is all good.

2 comments:

  1. These are way 'cool' socks! never used this yarn before but like the look. Ever tried to use your handspun for socks?
    I agree--there are too many patterns out there so why not a different pattern each time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used my handspun for socks, although I have thought about it; what stops me is not wanting to wear heel and toe or sole out too quickly. I could carry a nylon thread with it I suppose or look for the fiber with nylon in it before spinning. What about you? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete