Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Two not ufos anymore

Completed Fluffy Cotton Baby Cardigan. Years ago Classic Elite Yarns put out this as kits with one skein of the fluffy cotton, which is comprised of one strand of a solid off white cotton and one strand variegated 'fluffy' yarn, and a very simple pattern. I didn't remember that I had the kit until trying to sort through my stash, perfect timing, as a friend was just about to deliver her little boy. I was going to go buy buttons, even looked at some cute dinosaur buttons at the Stitch Niche, but decided to raid my button jar first and came up with five mis-matched ones that work well together. Maybe I am reacting to a line I heard recently in an old movie regarding Scottish 'thrift'. Or, perhaps, it was because I finished weaving in the ends at night and wanted to finish the whole thing and didn't want to have to get up and go to the store. I had hoped to finish this last week. Ah well, now you know, instead of finishing it first, I started the Rose Ribbons Shawl in the Free Fall #125, and here is the result.
This lace pattern is a lot of fun to do and especially with the handspun beautiful colors it is so satisfying to see how the colors work up, always a bit of a surprise for me. This was a 3.7 oz skein of roving dyed by Martie of Taos Sunflower, and I was able to get around 470 yds from it, and used all but about 20 yds in this shawl.

If you can 'click' on this picture I think you can see the beads that I worked into the last row before binding off. I chose a deeper pink to try to pull the deeper colors into the scallop edge. I like the way it turned out. This is the second time I've worked this pattern and now I am thinking of how much I would like to try designing my own. I have even gathered a selection of lace patterns from Barbara Walker's pattern books. Now it is time to try swatching them. Off to work!
P.S. The Rose Ribbons Shawl is one of the great patterns from Evelyn Clark's Knitting Lace Triangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment