Thursday, May 19, 2011

Recent visitors to our garden

This sweet redbellied woodpecker has been visiting us a lot recently. He seems fairly small, so I assume him to be young. I love to hear his cat like mewlings in the trees; I run to see if I can catch a glimpse of him and was rewarded with these pics.

Here he visits the feeding station. I think he may eat a seed or two or three and then grabs some more and flies up to the trees, to hoard?

I was so pleased to see the grobecks back this year, sorry for the fuzzy shot, just love him peeking out from behind the 'pagoda'.

Could he get any fatter? I know he must have just fluffed up his feathers and settled down to his meal but from this angle he doesn't seem to need any more!

A bird of a different feather also enjoys feeding. This morning I watched him take a nice bath in the fresh water I had just replaced; now you know my pleasant routine: after filling the feeders and giving fresh water, I sit back on the screened porch and enjoy my breakfast whilst being entertained by what my husband calls the live 'Disney channel'.

Sorry, no pics to prove it, but I did enjoy watching a little wren bringing nesting materials to this potted plant. She would approach cautiously, landing on the ground to scope things out, with what appeared as a bristly white mustache, then she would fly up to the plant and hop in and the plant would go swinging lightly and moving up and down for awhile, then she would fly off to collect some more materials off in the distance. This morning I peeked and she has a beautiful nest prepared. No eggs yet, and I'm hoping that it is high enough not to get wet when the plant is watered. I will try to water carefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment