Wednesday, April 20, 2011

On reading my last post I realize I was certainly not clear about the quilting of this crib quilt. I had the pleasure and satisfaction of hand quilting in my lap, without a frame or hoop, and seeing that although the stitches are far from perfect, the result was pleasing. What's more, I enjoyed it thoroughly, and can hardly wait to try it again.
My very first and only other quilt I made back in 1974 (!) and pieced entirely by hand; it was a Wild Goose Chase quilt with nine blocks and by the time I finished piecing it I certainly didn't feel like quilting it so I just tied it in the corners and centers of the blocks. I certainly lacked patience back then. I wanted everything done in a hurry.
I'm glad I've changed at least that much!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! I find quilting without a hoop or frame works best for me, as well. I have decided to not let other peoples' standards for stitches worry me...it is just so pleasurable to do whatever it is I am able to do, and while I admire their work, it isn't on my schedule at this time in life. Did you use colored thread? Or embroidery floss? Or perle cotton? I've seen those used to great results. Thanks for clarifying this! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Martie! I used an ecru perle cotton in size 8 as that is what I had on hand. I totally forgot about a bag of colored perle cottons in size 5, but probably just as well as I didn't have enough of any one color. Although, come to think of it that might have been interesting, to use different colors. (?)
    XO

    ReplyDelete