Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bee quilting...

Back to spring for a moment or two; we have had some cool days, then some hot and humid days and then blissfully a little cold front with clear skies and blossoms perfuming the air..

and happy bees, busy... as busy as my fingers were this last week....

when I decided to make my first quilt in thirty five plus years, and the first one I didn't even quilt! I just tied it together...Inspired by so many, Jane Brocket's The Gentle Art of Quiltmaking, Anna Maria Horner's blog which includes lovely clear tutorials, Alicia Paulson's blog which recently showed a BEAUTIFUL log cabin style quilt she made and included a link to a video tutorial on how to easily piece a log cabin block.. well after all this time I just couldn't resist. Plus I cheated. Well, at least I didn't have to cut all the strips for the blocks. I found a rondelle of fabric strips at Wal-Mart that had three strips each of eight different yet coordinating fabrics, and that was my start.

Here is my finish, one week later.

And here is the reaction I got when I gave the quilt to its intended owner! She started laughing and gathering it all around her, happy as a bee sucking honey. Then she got tired and I got to rock her to sleep wrapped in it, and then..

left her in her crib. Bliss is a happy baby.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it so much fun??? I love those pre-cut bundles of fabric. I just love how your quilt turned out. I expect next you'll start hand quilting, and can't wait to see what you do with that. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did hand quilt it Martie! I can hardly believe I really did it, and it went much faster than I thought it would. If you zoom in on the last photo you can see what I did. And you are right, I am already mulling over my next quilt idea and plan on hand quilting it too. You are so right, it is so much fun!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete