Tuesday, June 9, 2009

some shapshots from life

My friend Dilania has the touch when it comes to gardening. Visiting her home in Picayune, Mississippi is always a real treat. She is constantly updating her potted plants just outside the kitchen door which is the one we all use to enter the house. I was struck by the colors in this one. I am sure I should know the name of it, I will have to ask next time I visit.
Here is another view of the 'Mary Cassatt' shawl. Tracy is a recent bride and wears the perfect colors to show this off to its best advantage. I knit the 'Rose Ribbons' shawl from Evelyn A. Clark's 'Knitting Lace Triangles', published by Fiber Trends, http://www.fibertrends.com/.
I added one more repeat of the leaf pattern before the edging as I had enough of the handspun to do so, and it helped to make the shawl a more wearable size. This shawl was so much fun to knit, especially with the handspun, and seeing how the colors came up as I knit made it exciting and probably made me finish it faster than I otherwise would have.

Here is the Free Fall # 125 singles on the bobbin. This is also from Martie at Taos Sunflower: http://www.taossunflower.com/. I am awaiting delivery of another couple of rovings in her Free Fall series, the next ones will be greens and golds, yummy! I managed to spin the second bobbin of singles yesterday and in the afternoon I plied them together. I was able to get around 470 yards out of 3.7 oz. of this Falkland fiber. Quite pleased. Photo next time as the skein is still drying.


And last, a snapshot of what I call my nest. Here is where I spin and knit and read and watch tv and plan and dream. When I am not using my feet for spinning I can put them up on my queen size ottoman to my left, which also serves as a great catch-all for anything and everything. Our room at my mother-in-law's is about eleven ft. x twenty-two ft. and it serves as office, bedroom, sitting room, closet, craft room. It epitomizes the expression 'studio apartment' except that we share the kitchen and bath of the main house. Keeping things organized is a constant challenge, and I sometimes spend much more time than I wish to hunting for things, yet it all works somehow.
BTW the Melissa Leapman Celtic Cables class was wonderful and I will try to get a better photo to show my class samples. She is a lot of fun and I learned a lot!
Until next time then.



No comments:

Post a Comment