Monday, November 29, 2010

Dyeing to spin

It always surprises me what happens to color in dyeing and then spinning. Here is a four ounce Falkland roving laid out with colors poured ready to be wrapped and steamed. Afterwards I did the same with a four ounce Merino/Seacell roving, trying to keep the color sequence the same. The hardest part of the process is waiting over night for the colors to take on their full intensity. And then to SPIN!

On the left is the Falkland and to the right the Merino/Seacell, with their respective singles on the bobbins. I am fascinated with how the different fibers take the color distinctly and I love the subtle skein they produce together.
I was able to get close to 500 yards for four ounces.

Once again I split the rovings lengthwise and now have the anticipation of spinning the other halves of the roving. Double the fun when done this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment